Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The 24th of July Samoan Cultural Festival (Eh?)

Ever since Ariana's luau on the 18th, it seems my life has been filled with all things Polynesian. From hangin' with an old friend, eating taro, making koko Samoa, and calling friends on that favorite island of mine, I can practically smell the salt of sea.... or maybe just the burning garbage.

Top: Megan & Ari, Emme & Ari
Middle: The Big Fig Fam
Bottom: Giddy Up Ari & Caleb

On the morning of Thursday the 24th of July the whole "big fig family" attended the Pioneer Parade downtown. The Tongan community always has a band and a float in the parade. This year the Samoan community entered a float for the first time. As they walked by, I started yelling out "Fa'asamoa." All at once practically the entire group turned my direction and started yelling back, "Talofa!" It was awesome. I even made sure the Miss Samoa USA contestants (or Samoan princesses) waved at Ari. She loved that.

Samoan Community Float

After the parade we headed down to the Samoan Cultural Celebration at Wheeler Farm. The celebration began on Monday, and was schedule to end with the Miss Samoa USA pagent the following Saturday night. The place was pretty empty, because most people were hanging out at Liberty Park after the parade. It was still awesome though. I was able to speak the little bit of Samoan I remember, eat panikeke, and check out the Samoan whares. (They were of course triple the price than they were is Samoa.) My favorite part was talking to Doris Teo's sister. She was running Doris's booth. She looked so familar, so I asked if she was related to Doris. She turned around and was really excited to see me. I guess she had met me in Samoa two weeks before I left. She remembered Ari, and was so nice. After that, Mike and I decided to go back the next evening when the entertainment was scheduled.

The next evening we returned with empty bellies and pockets full of cash. The place was packed, and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. I had gotten really used to that in Samoa, but it was a little bit shocking. It was good though. We had such a good time. We ate taro, boiled bananas, bbq chicken, panikeke, and best of all......koko samoa (although I burnt my tongue REALLY bad, I just couldn't wait.) We saw a few people we knew. I heard Kristen Tauiliili had been there during the week, but I didn't see her. That would have been cool. Lu Ieremia was supposed to meet as there that night with Bre, but after some gang problems, they had to shut the event down early. The entertainment was great, although it too was cut short. They flow two bands in from NZ, 3 Houses Down, and Jamoa Jam. It was so amazing to see so many Samoans all gather in one place in UTAH. Heaven!

Ari eating taro at the festival! She loved it in Samoa.

Sunday we attended our friends Lindsay and Ben Fonua's baby Leila's blessing. Ben's Tongan mom prepared a feast at the park afterward. We had this really good drink made of watermelon, mango, coconut, and coconut milk. Yum!!!

Sunday night I pulled out of the freezer the koko samoa I bought from Rebecca Lolo when she was here for her sister's wedding. Mike's family wanted to try it. The smell alone was enough to make me do the siva.:) Mike's family wasn't to keen on it, but I loved it. Mike's mom Cathy liked it, which scored many points for her in my book.

Finally today I decided to call my Samoan aiga (family) the Tagaloa's back on Upolu. Vale (the mom) heard my voice and said, "Hello my Teuila Measina!" That is my Samoan name the family gave me just before I left. She said everyone was doing great! It was so expensive to talk very long, but so hard to get off the phone. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!

Well, it has taken me a good two years to say this and mean it, but I really miss Samoa. Our goal is to go back in 2011, but I hope we can manage it sooner. It would be so nice to visit under less stressful circumstances.

Hope everything is well with all of you! Drop me a line.

Kelli

p.s. Thanks for the great e-mail today Judiff! It was so good to hear from you.

1 comments:

Figgins said...

Hey this is monica (Eric's wife) great blog. It looked like the parade was fun. Talor wasn't in it this year so we chose to sleep in. The house looks great. Brent told me about your blog. I love looking at what everyone is up to.