Friday, September 12, 2008

Busy! Busy! Busy!

Almost exactly four years ago I was sitting in a house wondering how I was going to fill up an entire day with things to do. The next 730ish days were filled with the same thoughts. What to do? What to do? What to do? How times have changed, and thank goodness. My life has gotten steadily busier over the last two years, but these last few months have been CRAZY!!! I can't remember the last time I have been this busy. Thankfully I am loving it. I heard someone once compare life to a train ride. Most of the ride is pretty mundane, and monotonous, but every once in a while you turn a corner and see a breath taking view. Right now, I am taking a big huge breath of beauty. I just feel so blessed to literally be alive. (Check out my car accident picture to see what I mean.) Anyway.... the business has meant no blog update in awhile, so I will try to update you on all the goings on of the fig fam.

The HOUSE

Mike, Ari, and I moved into our new house around the 11th of August. I have wanted a house for SO LONG! I just love it. It isn't the hugest house around, but it is wonderful, and fits our family of three perfect. It is only five years old, and the previous owners took very good care of it. The decorating has been pretty fun, but my "to buy for the house" list is still pretty long. We want to have everyone over when we get it a little more finished. My mom is giving me her barely used piano, and I can't wait to get it in. I am still just waiting for some super nice strong men to get it over here. Mike says sometimes he will wake up in the morning and think, "Wow! This is my house." It really is hard to believe, but I guess after the first payment, we will really feel it.



Ari chose this spot to take a nap. Mike and I were busy getting our bedroom closets organized (really..i promise) and we came out to find her. It was so cute, we had to take a picture.

The TOY

Mike has been eyeing these scooters for some time now. He finally convinced me that it would actually be cheaper to make payments and pay for gas for a scooter, than to keep driving his truck around. I finally caved, and now his scoot scoot has arrived. I am not sure how long the weather will allow him to use it, but he sure is liking it. I just hope he is REALLY careful.



Ari LOVESSSSSS her daddy's new bike, and wants him to take her for rides all the time. Since my accident though, that has been COMPLETELY vetoed by the mom.

The JOB

This fall I transferred to Country View Elementary in West Haven. Not only did I change schools, but I finally graduated from the second grade to third. I LOVE IT!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! Oh wait..... did I tell you?????? I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I am in total teacher heaven. I have such a good class this year, and my third grade team is phenomenal. The staff and parents are great, and I hope to stay around for a long time. I have never been at a school for longer than two years, so I am really hoping to call this home. I love going to work everyday, and have a hard time leaving before five or six.

The GIRL

Ariana started preschool/daycare this year. The first day was pure torture for me. When I took her down to her class, she started to bawl, and gripped onto my leg. They literally had to pull her off of me. I finally got away, and had to wipe the tears off my own cheeks. As I walked out the door I faked a happy face as I turned to wave goodbye. As I turned back, I saw my pretty little princess waving at me from a barred window. (The bars are to protect the kids from falling into the window during recess time.) I then really lost it as I walked to my car. I felt like the worst mom in the whole world, and had to call my own mom so she could reassure me that I wasn't, and that I was doing what was best thing for my family.

Now Ari loves it. She is learning so much. Everyday she has a new story, and a new song to sing. She has even been using some Sign Language around the house, which is really cool. She still is so funny, and makes us laugh everyday. The other day she tried to convince me that she needed to find a new boyfriend, because she left her old one, Ethan, behind in Farmington. I told her that Ethan would have to be her boyfriend until she was at least 18. Then she could find another. Something tells me that is not going to happen, but at least I can hope. She is such a flirt, it really scares me.

She also loves the new house, and regularly kisses as many of the walls as she can before leaving it. She still likes to sneak into our bed at night sometimes, but she really likes her new pink and purple room.

The WRECK

Well, life can't be all sunshine and roses everyday. Last Saturday I was driving to my niece's baptism in Syracuse. I wasn't really running late, but enough to where I wasn't using my ummm "best" thinking skills. I got to a 2 way stop sign heading west. My brain thought I was at a four way. I brought my car to a complete stop, looked to see if it was my turn to go, and drove on through. Well, of course the car approaching me to the south didn't stop....... oh wait, he did stop, only after plowing right into the side of my car. It was awful. My poor little Stratus got totalled. We wanted to get a new car this summer, after Ari was done with daycare, but now we have no choice. At least Mike has his scooter, so we can get by with his truck for awhile anyway.

The good part was that no one got hurt. Looking at the pictures, I am just SOOOOO so grateful that Ari didn't get hurt. She was less than a foot away from being smushed. I have felt SO guilty about that. I just take extra time to hold and love on her everyday, and know how lucky I really am. She only got a small bruise on her shoulder from the strap on her car seat. She was asleep when it happened, and I think that was another real blessing.



The FUNERAL

Lastly, I said good-bye to one of the greatest human beings I have ever had the privilege of being loved by, my dear neighbor and adopted grandma, Margaret Egbert. I have never met another person who loved as she did. I hope I can live to be even just a little bit like her. She was 85, and living in a worn out little body. I am sure she had a wonderful reunion with her husband and family on the other side. I love you Margaret!



The END

Well, that I hope you didn't fall asleep. If you did..........WAKE UP! I am done for now. Leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.

Until next time!

Kelli

p.s. The train quote was from President Hinckley, "Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Thanks Lori!!!

11 comments:

Lori Ann said...

"Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley
Those beautiful vistas make all the other stuff worth it don't they. I loved catching up with your life by reading your blog. I hope you don't mind that I peeked at it after seeing the link on facebook. Your daughter is gorgeous, and I'm really glad that you were both ok after the car accident. Congrats on the new house, and loving your new teaching job.

Anonymous said...

Wow, lots of things are happening to your life. Mostly good so that is reassuring. When you said that your Stratus was totaled, I thought oh great is she okay? I am really glad that your family is okay. I'm glad that you love your house, and by the way, I have been in my house for almost a year now and the things for the house list just gets longer and longer. Someday when I am old and gray it might be taken care of. Of course at that point I won't care anymore! Funny how life is. I would love to come see your house. Next time I am up there, which won't be for a long time, I will have to come over.

sarita said...

Congratulations on all the exciting things going on in your life (except for the car accident--glad you're ok). It is so nice that you love your job and your 3rd grade team. Third grade ended up being my favorite as well, it's just the perfect age.

sarita said...

p.s. That quote is one of my faves as well. President Hinckley actually quotes Jenkins Lloyd Jones, who was the original author of it.

Grandma Mecham said...

Thanks for the update. I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from any of you down there. Glad you are all okay and that everything is going so well.
Love you,
Aunt Honey

Malauna said...

I. Love. Reading. BLOGs. Keep those updates coming so I can learn about your fam/life.

The Huffs said...

The wreck sounded horrible! I know Heavenly watches over us moms everyday because I have made so many mistakes where Calvin could be really hurt or worse. I am thankful for our little blessings!

Melissa

WildBound said...

Wowzers! I can't believe you found me, either! This is so cool!It's been YEARS since I've seen you. Years. How DID you find me?!

Stacie said...

Hi Kelli! That's fun that you found me. I'm glad you're liking the house. We loved it too!

Stacie said...

Superior water just called me and said that it is time to change the water purifiers. So if you want to do that you can call Jessica at 952-5943. And to get the warrenty switched over to you guys!

BeautyFul said...

Hey cute girl! Thanks for posting that side-panel stuff on Brooke Fraser... LOVE IT! You have certainly got me addicted to her style of expression! AMAZING!