Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Our Trip Down South

I know it seems like a miracle that I am posting twice in one month. Mike, Ari, and I headed down South this last weekend. Mike had a conference in St. George to attend, so Ari and I tagged along. We were able to visit all sorts of people during our trip. Most of them were people we hadn't seen for a long time. It was really nice. I even got to hear one of my best friends, Becky Rice Kennedy, do her one of a kind laugh. That made the whole trip worth while.

The Abbotts -

The Abbots were serving a humanitarian aid mission in Samoa when we got first arrived there. We spend about a month living in a small apartment by them. They were so much fun, and full of life. Elder Abbott actually served in Samoa as a young man. Part way through his mission he was called to transfer to Fiji to open the mission there. He was one of the first on that island. If you have seen the movie, "The Other Side of Heaven", you can recall the part of the movie where Elder Groberg gets put into jail in Fiji. As he is playing his trumpet another missionary comes to the jail, and bails him out. In the true story, this other missionary was Elder Abbott. For the record, Elder Abbott told me that Elder Groberg was certainly not playing the trumpet at the time, and was a scared little boy.

The Abbotts were actually called to Samoa for a second time as senior missionaries to serve in the Samoa temple. One night they ran out of their apartment to witness the entire temple burn down in a devastating fire. Instead of returning home early they chose to stay as humanitarian missionaries. During their mission they were able to do many things, including setting up water tanks in many villages, providing wheelchairs for a few handicapped Samoans. They were even able to help a deserving Samoa man travel to America to receive an artificial leg. This is only a small example of the good deeds they did for those people. In talking to them, I think their greatest reward was meeting their soul brother President Burgess who has recently passed away. They really loved him, and treasured his friendship.

The Abbotts hadn't seen Ari since she was about five months old. They had a great reunion with her. Ari was especially taken with Elder Abbott, and had a difficult time leaving him. She cried for him as we drove away. It was really cute.



St. George

We had a great time doing some fun activities in St. George. We were able to visit the wildlife museum, do a little shopping, and visit with Mike's Aunt Bonnie. The pictures below are of the museum, and Ari in her new outfit. She was SO excited to try it on and wear it to dinner. That cutie is 100% girl.











The last morning in St. George we went down to the lobby of the hotel for a quick breakfast. The room was filled with high school boys in town for a soccer tournament. Ari started to freak out, and tell me we needed to go back to the room. When I asked her why, she said her hair just looked awful. Mike and I about died. SHE IS ONLY FOUR! Four going on 24 that is. What a pill!

The Lyman Sisters

On Saturday we were able to stop in Beaver Dam to visit with two of my mom's sisters and their husbands. It is always fun to see Aunt Honey. She spoiled Mike by making his two favorites: chip dip, and hot water cake. She even gave us doggy bags, so we enjoyed them for the rest of the trip. This next picture is of Ariana teaching her "great" Aunt Honey to do the hula.



We also got to visit with my mom's oldest sister, my Aunt Melpha, and her husband, my Uncle Bob. This was the first time they got to meet Ari. It was pretty special because my Aunt Melpha was so concerned about our little two year hang up in Samoa, and gave my mom some great advice during that time. When I was a young girl I changed my name to Melpha Lula for awhile, after my aunt and my paternal grandma. Ari being Ari, she really took to Uncle Bob. He said if Ari was his he would call her Betty! It was really cute. We hope to visit them again sometime.





Becky -

We spent the last few days down in Mesquite with my great friend Becky Kennedy and her family in Mesquite. I am really upset with myself for not getting any pictures. We had a great time, as usual, with them. Mike got to do a little golfing with Becky's husband Mike. Becky and I got to catch up, and practicing our dorky laughs. Let's just say she knows how to bring out the Ernie in me. She will probably kill me for putting up this picture, but it is the only one I got. Love ya Beckers!!! Thanks again.

2 comments:

andrew's mom said...

Hey Kelli-How are you girl? Remember me from good old Morgan El? I found your blog through Terra Cooper's. Your little girl is darling-so glad you are home and doing well.

Mike and Becky Kennedy said...

Okay, I have to say that you did a very naughty thing by posting that picture! Yikes!! Actually I think that I was having a good hair day that day. At least you didn't get one of me right as I woke up. I really enjoyed your visit. Thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane, I need it every now and then. Love Ya!